Affordable Eco-Chic in New York City's East Village

Posted February 7, 2009 by Kate Hamman

Birdbath It's not easy being green, but all things eco-chic have taken Manhattan, especially in the East Village. Come to the Big (green) Apple for organic baked goods, environmentally-friendly designer clothes, and martinis made from the freshest ingredients. Plus, you won't have to spend a fortune to be good to Mother Earth.

Eat
Birdbath Neighborhood Green Bakery: From walls constructed out of wheat to biodegradable cups made from corn, everything in this hole-in-the-wall bakery sounds downright delicious. Displayed on a countertop created from 100 percent recyclable paper, you'll find an array of bear claws, berry scones, and oversized cookies made from organic and locally-sourced ingredients. The baked goods are even delivered by a bicycle rickshaw to be extra earth-friendly. Most of the items cost around $2.50.

Shop
Kaight: Thanks to Kaight, you won't have to wear a hemp dress to be ethically hip. The shop carries only the hottest emerging designer apparel made from environmentally friendly and organic textiles, such as cottons, cashmeres, and wools. Even the shoes are created from natural and eco-conscious products. Prices depend on the designer and may seem high, but you can find bargains and feel good about your purchases.

Drink
Counter: With a rooftop garden producing the fresh herbs used to infuse its organic martinis, Counter takes eco-chic to new heights. The bar's inventive cocktails, such as the lavender-and-rosemary-infused martini topped with cranberry and lime nectar, will have you feeling green all over. If you're in the mood for a glass of wine, you can order from the extensive list of biodynamic and organic selections from around the world. The restaurant also serves a wide variety of tasty vegetarian dishes for those in need of sustenance. Martinis start at $12.

To search for flights and compare prices to New York City, please use our price-comparison tool.

(Photo: City Bakery Brands, LLC)

I had an amzing breakfast tangine at counter (eggs cooked in Moroccan tomato sauce). I felt a little weird drinking intense martinis with breakfast, so I ordered one of their bio-dynamic wines (not that wine at 9:30 a.m. is much better). I like how they care about the environment and can stay East Village hip at the same time. Definately go!

Posted on February 06, 2009 at 03:46 PM by bellasante

Birdbath is really tiny, but the oatmeal cookies are local favorites and worth the stop. They are pretty big, too.

Posted on February 06, 2009 at 04:02 PM by marie212

You know, it's funny, I thought, "$12 martinis in NYC -- what a deal!"

Posted on February 06, 2009 at 05:20 PM by fuzzytrippinbunny

A great place to stay in the East Village (my favorite NYC neighborhood) is the East Village Bed and Coffee--it's a fun European-style B&B that's also really affordable. The 7A Cafe is also perfect for breakfast, and Old Devil Moon has outstanding barbecue... now I want to take a trip to NYC!

Posted on February 09, 2009 at 04:27 PM by SarahP

Hey 'Bunny, I think a $12 martini is pretty darn good in New York, too. BUT, at least there are a few places in the Village with cheap beer.

Posted on February 09, 2009 at 05:32 PM by Sinestro

bellasante, what's wrong with martinis at breakfast!?

Posted on February 10, 2009 at 08:35 AM by Erin

I am planning on heading to NYC this spring, these are great places to check out ... thank you!

Posted on February 10, 2009 at 09:28 AM by Baby Suri

It's a great post.These are great places to visit.I like how they care about the environment. Thanks for the wonderful post.

Posted on February 10, 2009 at 09:55 AM by Ragul

This gets me excited for a trip to NYC! Thanks for the ideas SarahP on places to stay. Any recommendations for a good family friendly green restaurant? We'll definitely check out the bakery...sounds delicious!

Posted on February 10, 2009 at 10:29 AM by Kim

Thanks for the great article. I have vistied the East Village and it truly is a great place to visit. You can find all sorts of environmentally friendly things to do, eat, or see.

Posted on February 10, 2009 at 01:30 PM by Sam

How cool to find a part of New York City making going green chic. I would love to try the fare at Counter, it sounds imaginative, intoxicating, and healthy even. Any other suggestions for innovative places to see in the area? I think clothing going green is a no-brainer and more people ought to give it a shot, perhaps make it more affordable. Overall, this sounds like an interesting area to visit.

Posted on February 10, 2009 at 06:58 PM by connie

Wow! I'm 8 hrs away from New York City and reading this post, I made a decision to visit Birdbath Neighborhood Green Bakery. Really intrigued as to what the place looks like. Glad to know that somebody (even in NYC) is reallt doing something for our environment.

Posted on February 10, 2009 at 07:55 PM by Edna

I really love the idea of different types of businesses embracing the "eco" concept. I had no idea that construction concepts were so extensive!

Just wondering about Kaight; along with carrying eco-friendly wearables are they also supporting Free Trade initiatives?

Posted on February 10, 2009 at 09:59 PM by EW

Thanks for the wonderful tips. My sister and I frequently trave to New York for mini vacations. Typically we only go for 3 or 4 days and we are always looking for something new and out of the ordinary to do. We will definitely check out Birdbath Neighborhood Green Bakery, it sounds great and you cant beat the prices, earthiness, and the delivery too!

Posted on February 11, 2009 at 12:44 AM by alwayshopeful

I was really excited to read about these new establishments. I'm a native New Yorker and my grandmother used to live in an apartment building that was just a block away from "Counter." At that time, the area was known as the Lower East Side and was NOT part of "the Village." I haven't been back to Manhattan in a few years, but I have a wedding coming up in June that will have me in the city for a few days. I will definitely have to write down these addresses and pay them a visit. Great job on this site and keep on finding these treasures!

Posted on February 11, 2009 at 11:18 AM by SuzyQ

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Affordable Eco-Chic in New York City's East Village: