Find Value in Vintage Las Vegas

Posted February 5, 2009 by Kate Hamman

NV_LasVegas_GoldenNugget-DEF Before Hollywood-style mega hotels and family-themed attractions cropped up all over the city, Las Vegas once served as a class-act escape for adults. Things may have changed since the days of the swinging Rat Pack, but the Fremont Street area still maintains many of the old-school ways.

Stay
Golden Nugget: With Las Vegas' extremely high hotel turnover rate, the Golden Nugget has somehow remained standing and going strong since 1946. With several new renovations to keep up with the times, including a live shark tank added to the outdoor swimming pool area, the hotel still embodies the original Vegas. Frank Sinatra headlined here several times, and even inaugurated the Theatre Ballroom with Willie Nelson in 1984. Part of the Fremont Street Experience, and a favorite place to stay among die-hard gamblers, the hotel looks like it's here to stay. Room rates start at $59 per night.

Shop
Main Street Antiques: The kitschy, tacky, gaudy, and quirky that make Vegas what it is come together under one roof at Main Street Antiques. Here, memorabilia runs amuck in more than 15,000 square feet of space. From the "Mint Room" filled with showgirl costumes to the "Vegas Room" featuring all things Elvis, there's never a dull moment. Be sure to shop the Tiny Treasure for trinkets from the Sunset Strip and Route 66. Though everything is for sale, this collection rivals many museums and is free to enter.

Eat
Hugo's Cellar: Far from the flash-in-the-pan nouvelle restaurants lining the strip, Hugo's has been a top spot for fine-dining since the 60s, and is still a favorite among locals. Located in the basement of the Four Queens Hotel and Casino, the dark wood and exposed brick of the cellar capture the spirit of gentlemen's clubs of the past. A red rose greets every lady, adding a special touch of class to each meal. The menu mostly consists of dry-aged beef and a range of seafood options. Dinner may be a bit of a splurge, but it's worth every penny to experience the atmosphere of vintage Vegas. Entrees start at $32, and include salad prepared tableside, side items, and chocolate dipped fruit for dessert.

To search for flights and compare prices to Las Vegas, please use our price-comparison tool.

(Photo: Las Vegas News Bureau)

I have to say that vintage Vegas is ten times cooler than the oversized and tacky casinos of today. Give me Frank Sinatra over Celine Dion any day! Plus, Hugo's Cellar is not only a classic, but the food is outstanding.

Posted on February 06, 2009 at 02:44 PM by Snomad

I'm not the biggest fan of Vegas, but I do prefer the kitschy old timey Vegas to the flashing lights version found today. That said, I much prefer to use Vegas as a jumping point for other activities -- hiking in Red Rock Canyon, for example. It's also cheaper to fly into Vegas and drive to the Grand Canyon than it is to fly to Phoenix.

Posted on February 06, 2009 at 03:11 PM by Highland3r

Posted on February 06, 2009 at 03:12 PM by Highland3r

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed my first (and only) trip to Vegas. I missed the vintage aspects but did tour surrounding areas and the Hoover Dam as well as on-strip activities. Your article definately makes me think a repeat trip is in order to check out what I missed in the first go-'round.

Posted on February 06, 2009 at 03:23 PM by snarky_schnoodle

The tables/casinos on the main strip (new Vegas) get to be very expensive in the evening hours... so I like to go to vintage Vegas were the minimums are bearable and provide hours of entertainment without breaking the bank. My suggestion is to spend your days on the strip and nights in vintage Vegas (unless you're not into gambling... in which case you want to flip the itinerary around). Remember... the only thing that doesn't stay in Vegas is your account balance. :)

Posted on February 06, 2009 at 04:00 PM by SeaSaltyDog

not a big fan o vegas either, but last time i was there, i did find some really cool stuff to do, like indoor skydiving, and the weather is great. everybody should go there once. it's very unique

Posted on February 06, 2009 at 06:28 PM by dave

The Golden Nugget is my FAVORITE in Las Vegas! They play hip, current music out on the casino floor. It's a bit more laid back than anything on the main strip and it's much nicer than just about anything else in Old Vegas.

Posted on February 09, 2009 at 05:16 PM by Red Hood

I never thought I would like Vegas, but now I can say I love it! Old Vegas is worth a day-trip, but going there after seeing the real thing felt kinda weird...almost sad in a way. The laser show was cool though.

Posted on February 10, 2009 at 05:19 PM by solotravel

I love Vegas!!!!! I've been there the last two years and I'll keep going as long as I live. The weather is great, the resorts are the Best, the food is to die for and there is so much to do and see that you never get tired of it. My first trip I stayed for 10 days and the last trip I stayed for 14 nights and WOW, it was great, I wish I could have mailed my bed home with me, it is first class all the way. The shopping is great too. I have told all my friends and even had some join me last year and right now I am planning for my next trip and deciding who is coming with me. There is so much to do there and so little time to do it all especially the shows, double WOW!!!!! If you haven't gone yet start planning your trip now.

Posted on May 27, 2010 at 10:46 PM by Judith

Everyone should make time for the light shows down FreemontStreet. They are awesome light show is every 30 after dark and its FREE!!!!! Must See!!!!!!But take your camcorder. Cameras sometimes cant take pictures so fast.

Posted on June 26, 2010 at 09:30 PM by Poollady

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Find Value in Vintage Las Vegas: