Keep Your Cool and Cash in Miami

Posted February 8, 2009 by Kate Hamman

Artdeco Miami is the mambo king of cool, especially with its diverse architecture, prime beach location, and happening hot spots. However, you don't have to spend big bucks to be a part of the scene. Stay in the heart of all the action and hit one of the new hip bars located in a luxury boutique hotel. But before you say goodbye to Miami's colorful buildings, take a walking tour to familiarize yourself with their history.

Stay
The Park Central: This Art Deco hotel is not only located right on Ocean Drive overlooking the turquoise sea, but its prices are downright unbeatable. Stay in the hotel known as the "Blue Jewel of the Art Deco District", and enjoy the water views from the rooftop sundeck, swim in the heated pool, and surround yourself with its custom-made period furniture. Rooms start at $125 during low season.

Drink
The Coral Bar: Once known as the Diva of Ocean Drive, the Tides Hotel has recently undergone a major renovation and is ready to reclaim its title. If you can't afford to stay here, don't despair. With the opening of its Coral Bar, you can now be treated like a guest for the price of a cocktail. The new lounge serves twilight cocktails and seasonal appetizers. Sit in one of the outdoor cabanas while you sip on a rum-umbrella drink and listen to the waves.

Play
Art Deco walking tour: Miami's architecture has always been a topic of conversation, and now you can take a guided tour to find out why. The Miami Design Preservation League takes you on a 90-minute stroll through the architectural historic district, which features more than 800 buildings built during the 1920s, '30s and '40s. You'll learn about the different styles, such as Art Deco, Mediterranean Revival, and Miami Modern (MiMo), which make Miami's landscape so unique. Tours cost $20.

To search for flights and compare prices to Miami, please use our price-comparison tool.

(Photo: PhotoDisc)

Any recommendations for good CHEAP Cuban food in Miami? I know there are a bunch of places. There was a pretty decent one near a Miami strip club called the Booby Trap, but I'm always looking for something a little less touristy and a little more authentic.

Posted on February 09, 2009 at 05:18 PM by Red Hood

Red Hood: try a place called Puerto Sagua on Collins. It's cheap and a neighborhood fave. Happy dining!!

Posted on February 09, 2009 at 08:52 PM by Ms. Erin

"Rooms start at $125 during low season." When exactly is the low season? Summer? Or during non-school vaca periods?

Posted on February 10, 2009 at 08:56 AM by Erin

Miami Beach is beautiful, so don’t cheat yourself by staying in a bland business hotel in downtown. The area was really overbuilt in the last few years and more supply generally means lower prices. I checked out the hotel link and The Park Central is in a great location in Miami Beach and the hotel has great art deco appeal.

Posted on February 10, 2009 at 09:45 AM by Brandon

Last summer I worked for WDW in Orlando, but for some reason I never got a chance to visit Miami. I've been regretting it ever since and it's definitely on my itinerary for this summer. So, thanks for the post and I hope to read some more on Miami.

Posted on February 10, 2009 at 09:50 AM by George

Good suggestions. Miami is not an inexpensive place. If even these options are above budget, however, let me recommend www.couchsurfing.com. It maybe be better structured for crazy college kids, but the program is tested and safe, and best of all, free!

Posted on February 10, 2009 at 05:56 PM by Jayson

Thanks for the information. I've been on vacations to both Tampa and Orlando, but I've never made it down to Miami. When is the best time of year to go? Also do you have any restaurant recommendations?

Posted on February 11, 2009 at 12:03 AM by Jean

Many thanks for the nice post. Could you please recommend a decent place where I can find Indian cuisine. Visiting University of Miami next month.

Posted on February 11, 2009 at 10:58 AM by Ronnie

As I'm sitting here shivering in the cold weather, a trip to Miami seems just what the doctor ordered. Does anyone know if the restaurant "Tiramisu" is still in South Beach? It was known for ... well, tiramisu. It also had some of the best Italian food I'd ever eaten (and I don't like Italian food very much). Not sure when I'll make it back down to Miami, but hopefully it will be sooner rather than later. I stayed at a very nice, eclectic art deco hotel in South Beach the last time I was there (before South Beach was so chic) and I'd love to stay there again. I just can't remember the name! Cheers, everyone!

Posted on February 11, 2009 at 11:34 AM by JCG

This blog is really cool. I liked it very much. This blog is having very useful information about Miami.I was thinking that life in Miami was quite expensive. But when I visited the place I understood that I was totally wrong. I found that the prices are very much affordable in many places in Miami.I hope to visit Miami again soon.

Posted on February 11, 2009 at 12:54 PM by sankar

Miami is the one of the best place in the world to visit.I have been in Miami some time back.Miami beach is one of the finest beach. cost of living in Miami also very less.So if you plan for a holiday Miami should be your choice

Posted on February 11, 2009 at 09:28 PM by Sridar

I've never been to Miami but these comments make me more interested in going there. I live in North Florida and it seems that it has always been too far. I notice that Miami has a ballet. Has anyone seen them perform? What other cultural events does the city have to offer?

Posted on February 11, 2009 at 09:55 PM by Christy

I have been to Miami several times, but it's usually with friends for one night. We always end up going to South Beach. This is going go help so much on my next trip and I hope it will broaden my horizon.

Posted on February 12, 2009 at 12:02 AM by Nikki

Miami is the best place to visit as it has beautiful prime beach location, and happening hot spots. My stay at The Park Central made the trip much more enjoyable as i was able to view blue water from rooftop sundeck. Also the room prices are cheap starting from 125$. But tell me some specialities of the architecture and history of Miami.

Posted on February 12, 2009 at 12:49 PM by Dinesh Kumar Jegatheesan

If you are looking for awesome Chinese food you must check out Mrs. Yipp. It is located at Miss Yip Chinese Cafe
1661 Meridian Avenue in Miami Beach. The atmosphere in South Beach is so much fun. You will really have a great time. Check it out.

Posted on February 12, 2009 at 06:43 PM by Gina Agne

We took the Art Deco walking tour last fall, and what an experience it was. Along with getting relevant informations about the history and architecture, we traveled through some of the most senic areasin South Beach. I would even take this touragain the next time we go back - much recommended!

Posted on February 13, 2009 at 03:39 PM by Larry G

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Keep Your Cool and Cash in Miami: