Walk, Do Not Run, to the Bathroom!

Posted April 12, 2009 by Carl Unger

Bathroom_signA Delta passenger spent two nights in jail after he grabbed the arm of a flight attendant while rushing to use the restroom. Apparently the aisle was blocked, and when the passenger asked if he could use the business-class restroom, he was denied. He then pulled the flight attendant's arm as he tried to get into business class. The FBI greeted him upon landed and put him in jail for two nights.

The moral of the story? Be patient. More interesting, though, is that the passenger was denied use of the business-class restroom. The Wall Street Journal's Scott McCartney did some digging, and found that TSA regulations restrict passengers to the restrooms in their seating class. So the flight attendant who prevented the passenger from using the business-class bathroom was simply following the rules.

So the next time you have to use the restroom on a plane, don't run, and certainly don't push, pull or otherwise move the flight attendant out of your way. And maybe if you ask nicely a sympathetic flight attendant will let you use the forward cabin's bathroom. Maybe.

(Photo: foridbadges.com)

This is insane, Doctors have us on pills that make us go to the darn rest room even if we dont want to do it, and a call of nature means u have to go. I feel sorry for the gentleman

Posted on April 12, 2009 at 04:38 PM by Dorothy Neilson

thanks in the future i will try not to fly DELTA and it is tru that some flight attendant are berry rude come on if you got to go you go to go

Posted on April 12, 2009 at 09:34 PM by carlos munoz

Being a Web Developer and being heavily involved creating, updating and maintaining blogs. I will make sure that everyone is aware of the lack of concern for passenger's comfort on Delta. People forget they are in the service business and for the TSA to be involved in the creation of a regulation for this is absurd and really unbelievable!!! Everyone pass this along - STAY AWAY FROM DELTA.

Posted on April 13, 2009 at 06:27 PM by M. Garrett

Posted on April 13, 2009 at 06:27 PM by M. Garrett

THEY ARE OFTEN RUDE,BUT NOT AS BAD AS US AIR.. BEING
PLEASANT HELPS WITH SOME STAFF
BUT MANY ARE PERMANENTLY NASTY
UPPER MGT QBVIOUSLY APPROVES !
THANKS FREQUENT FLYER...

Posted on April 13, 2009 at 09:36 PM by C MACV

I travel quite a lot for business and I find this an absolute insane abuse of an irrational rule. In support of this poor guy and in protest of increased totalitarian government and its corporate thugs, I will now not fly Delta on any of my trips.

Posted on April 13, 2009 at 10:11 PM by Peter

HOW COULD ANYONE MUCH LESS A BUSINESS DENY A PERSON TO USE A RESTROOM? WHAT KIND OF COMPANY WOULD HAVE SUCH A "RULE"? THEY HAPPILY SERVE DRINKS BUT THEN IF THE RESTROOMS ARE FULL IN ONE SECTION, WHAT COULD BE THEIR REASONING ON NOT ALLOWING ACCESS TO ANY OTHER OPEN RESTROOM? WHAT WAS THEIR THINKING? I UNDERSTAND NOT TO GRAB AN ATTENDANT BUT THERE ARE MANY SITUATIONS AND THINGS WE HAVE TO NEED A RESTROOM AND WOULD THEY LIKE THESE THINGS DISPLAYED IN THE AIRPLANE WHILE WAITING IN LINE TO USE THE ROOMS OF OUR CLASS? I THINK NOT..PREHAPS IT WAS A MATTER OF THE WAY HE ACTED BUT SOMETIMES IT IS AN EMERGENCY OR ELSE ALL IN AIRPLANE SUFFERS. THE USE OF A RESTROOM SHOULD BE A KNOWN AS A RIGHT, HE WASN'T TRYING TO GET SERVED HOT TOWELS AND A BETTER PLACE TO HANDLE WHAT HE NEEDED TO DO NOR NOT WAIT FOR A LESSER TOLIT. AND TO BE TREATED LIKE THAT THEN TO ACTUALLY GO TO JAIL? AS A FELLOW PASSENGER I WOULD LIKE HIM TO GET TO ANY RESTROOM THEN BE NOT ALLOWED TO AND HAVE HIM SHARE WITH THE WHOLE PLANE HIS BODILY FUNCTIONS. WOW IS THIS THE OLD SOUTH AND WE NEED TO MARCH. THIS SHOULD BE AN KNOW RIGHT FREE ACCESS TO ANY RESTROOM WHEN NEED MAKES IT KNOWN THAT "WE GOT TO GO NOW"

Posted on April 13, 2009 at 10:25 PM by SQUEAK

I know a very wealth gentleman who was traveling first class from Rio de Janeiro to Paris. He had a heart attack on board and released himself, against his wish, in mid Atlantic ocean. The plane made an emergency stop in Madrid but the smell was felt for two hours. I bet every person in the Delta flight would have grabbed the flight attendant it the same had happened to the gentleman in question. I know the purpose of attendants is to help evacuate the plane in emergencies but being reasonable should be part of the training. Will fly another airline, just in case I have to ...go.

Posted on April 14, 2009 at 10:22 AM by maria luiza

Just so you all know, as a flight attendant who frequently flys both domestic and international routes this is a common issue, but why is it Delta's fault? The flight attendant was following FAA (that's right FEDERAL MANDATES) regulations, if we don't follow them we can get fined. So maybe if that passenger just stepped back into his cabin or asked NICELY instead of pushing or grabbing-which is disrespectful and considered a form of assult he wouldn't have been in this situation. I let people use different class bathrooms if they just ask, but when you get rude, you get what you deserve and he sounds like he deserved it.

Posted on April 14, 2009 at 10:45 AM by Iflytoomuch

The Delta flight attendant's response sounds like typical "I am following the rules", "what about me" and "you deserve to suffer if you do not obey". That posting further supports my well informed impression of the attitude of those in her role. While I find it unimagineable to grab another person in that manner and cannot feel sorry for that guy - I am so convinced that the old "majors" are getting what they deserve as jobs get cut and pay and employee benefits are suffering the same fate - as the service I receive is much like the feeling that unfortunate flight attendant felt when she was grabbed - and that level of customer service will yield a failed business - sooner or later...I am hope sooner.

Posted on April 15, 2009 at 01:02 AM by Bill "1 Million Miles and Counting"

We do not travel that often, but when we do, I have seen way to many situations with unreasonable flight attendants. It appears to me the attitude of the attendants is, I have the power, you WILL do what I say.
One experience was so awful I wrote to the company. We have flown with just about all the lines, and it is the same problem with all. I'm guessing they are burnt out and need a new vocation.

Posted on April 15, 2009 at 01:16 PM by Tammy

As a flight attendant I can sympathize with the Deltal Flight attendant, However if she had allowed him to use the lavatory the situation would not have escalated where the guy thought he was in the right to man handle her, which he wasn't. I have been a flight attedant for 29 years and know that kindness goes along way. Also maybe he shouldn't have waited so long to use the lav.

Posted on April 16, 2009 at 12:44 PM by gunn

First let me say that there are usually two restrooms in coach class, while first/business usually has only one restroom. So maybe the guy should of used coach class restroom. The flight attendent was right. Also if you live in Atlanta you will be flying Delta!!!

Posted on April 16, 2009 at 04:48 PM by sp

Airlines are overdoing things. We as the travelling public has to stand up for ourselves and not put up with these ridiculous rules so that they can keep their profit magin up. Next thing there will be a fee for using the washroom.

Posted on April 16, 2009 at 07:24 PM by Vishnu

Why is everyone so up in arms about what happened here? On a commercial flight hundreds of lives are at stake so you have to maintain order. That is why we have rules in the first place. We did not witness the exact circumstances but one thing is certain, you do not manhandle a crew member. It is unfortunate if someone messes in their pants and we have to smell it for 2 hours, but to make this the prme concern is childish and irresponsible.

Posted on April 19, 2009 at 01:27 PM by FI

I fly a lot...I've gotten just about anything I want (I fly coach) by being nice and always smiling and saying please and thank you. Those two words go a long way!He should have tried that instead of grabbing the attendant!

Posted on April 20, 2009 at 01:59 PM by judy diaz

I have IBS, if you have ever experienced this horrible problem you would understand what "emergency" means to a person like that.
Perhaps this man was suffering from this problem.

I can't believe the FBI was brought in.

Posted on April 21, 2009 at 06:44 PM by Christine

They are all waitresses in the sky anyway. No, most of us don't have any empathy for flight attendants. Maybe Delta will go belly up, and the flight attendant will have to get another job, cleaning bathrooms??

Posted on June 06, 2009 at 10:30 PM by jerry

when ya gotta go ya goota go do we have to have a Doctor as a restroom attendant

Posted on October 18, 2009 at 02:12 PM by Wetz

Yet another reason NOT to fly.

Posted on November 26, 2011 at 10:58 PM by Mike

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Walk, Do Not Run, to the Bathroom!: