Posted March 12, 2008 by SmarterTravel.com
Continental Airlines lists four airports as its hubs: Newark (EWR), Houston (IAH), Cleveland (CLE), and—drumroll, please—Guam (GUM)! In fact, Continental just celebrated its 40th anniversary of service to Guam!
To honor the occasion, I thought I'd let you in on some fun travel and tourism tidbits about Guam. Did you know:
- The CIA’s 2007 population estimate for Guam was 173,456?
- That Guam is home to an airport with an unpaved runway (and four with paved ones)?
- Three decent malls (Micronesia Mall, Guam Premier Outlets, and Agana Shopping Center) are responsible for a large portion of Guam’s tourism and economy?
- Craigslist is even available in Guam?
- Flights to Guam represented just 0.03% of all BookingBuddy user searches in February?
- According to the same data, Las Vegas is the 10th most popular departure airport for flights to Guam?
- The Guam Bureau of Statistics and Plans, lists “Fish, Chilled, Fresh, Frozen, Dried, and Salted” as the number one commodity for the last half of 2007 to the tun[a] of $12.9 million?
- The supposed wreckage site of Oceanic Flight 815 from the television series Lost is only a mere 2,514 miles away from Guam? (Lost theorists … GO!)
Okay, that was REALLY random (yet Guamtastic).